Talent means nothing if you have no ambition behind it. The idea that you can work hard and carve your own destiny – no matter where you’re from, should be the motivation for all individuals. Meet Carol Humtsoe – a small town girl from Nagaland, who is the first Naga girl to have been signed by Elite Model Management. She started her modeling career from a very young age and worked herself up to where she is right now.
I caught up with her over a brief phone call – for this feature on Roots and Leisure. Here is an excerpt:
- Hi Carol – so tell us when and how did it all start.
It started out as something fun when I was just 16, and one thing led to another. I took the first train to Delhi when I was 17 and that is how things kicked off – and Elite Model Management signed me up. I was 18 then.
- Where are you based right now?
I live somewhere in between Delhi and Mumbai alternately.
- How was the journey so far?
I have been fortunate enough to have worked with amazing brands – which has helped me grow as a professional model. I have walked for Wills Lifestyle India fashion week, Lakme fashion week and India Couture Week. I have also done TVC s for Chivas Regal with Wong Kar Wai, Yamaha, Kenstar, Airtel and some more 🙂
- Share something about your (Naga) roots.
Our unique oriental looks can be a bit of a challenge – as they are not your typical Indian face. But I have learnt from my personal journey (in fashion) that – if you are confident and proud of your roots, people start celebrating your uniqueness – and that is just beautiful!
- Any message you have for the young people?
It is your time to shine and move ahead. Do not be too laid back and let the world go by – work hard and chase your dreams!
Latest posts by Imliren Jamir (see all)
- How To Look Fashionable While Attending a Wedding in Nagaland. - May 29, 2017
- Harajuku Inspired Fashion Designer | Chingngam - September 2, 2016
- Fashion Model | Carol Humtsoe - April 21, 2016