The first time we heard her sing, chills ran down our spine. Then we checked out her other songs and we couldn’t stop talking about her! We are talking about Virie – the talented and sensational singer songwriter from Nagaland.
Virie is from Kohima Village, and currently teaching music in a local music school . She started out doing cover songs on youtube, and with the overwhelming positive response from viewers, she released an original Down that road (scroll down for video) along with her two friends (Zaza and Temjen).
Below is an excerpt from an interview we did with Virie.
- So Virie, tell us more about your single ‘Down that Road’. For those who haven’t heard it yet, how would you describe this song? Is it an original composition?
Well, the song is about one of life’s many phases that one goes through. It’s about taking a pause – forgetting all grudges and pains, and embracing solitude after you’ve been through hard times; that is when then you get reconnected to your soul and “Down That Road” is about that very moment. Yes it’s an original composition. Written and composed by me and Zaza.
- Where was the video shot and who made it?
It was shot at Kire’s (her friend) farmhouse in Kohima. It was a two days shoot and all of us had an amazing time making the video. Stillfilms production shot the video, and did all the post production work as well. They have done a great job.
“I have been a lover of music for as long as I can remember. I used to be a really shy girl but things took a drastic change in 2013; that’s when I started practicing a lot, and got introduced to music from great female artists like Lana Del Rey, Lorde, Tove Lo, Amy Winehouse and Ellie Goulding. I was so inspired by their music that I have been longing to create my own as well.”
- So, how has your (Naga) roots influenced your style of music?
We have a really rich culture. We are such a small group and yet they is so much variety – in terms of languages, attire, folklore, customs etc. I feel that this is the reason behind our ingenious way of life – and that is what I try to bring to my music. Original but always full of variety.
- Do you do live gigs? Do you also perform outside of Nagaland?
As an artist, I will go anywhere where my music will take me and I am looking forward to anything which is possible.
WANT TO BOOK VIRIE FOR A GIG? CONTACT HERE
Check out her latest video “Down that Road” with Zaza, featuring Temjen Jamir.
Song written and composed by Zaza and Virie. Music video Directed and Edited by StillFilms Production. Song recorded at Jam Studio 11, Dimapur, Nagaland
Latest posts by Roots & Leisure (see all)
- R&L Folks Share Their Excitement for the Upcoming Music Festival – NH7 Weekender Meghalaya 2018 - November 1, 2018
- R&L Editor Megumi D’Souza Takes Us Through Her Fun-Filled Life in Mumbai – Juggling Work, Gigs and R&L - October 6, 2018
- Ziro Festival of Music 2018 | Event Co-Founder Bobby Hano Gives Us a Glimpse into the Festival Preparation Mood from Ziro Arunachal - September 26, 2018