We met up with the funky team at Nagaland Street Art, a brand where art meets fashion with a focus on promoting the rich diversity of various Naga cultures through design.
At the beginning of this year (2016), three designers Cynthia Kolakhe, Imjung Longshiri and Muzung Yimchunger decided to come together to bring a bold idea to fruition. The plan was to create products that justified their brand’s tagline ‘Dare to be different’ – a style that blended the diagrammatic figuration from folk to urban design. And that’s how Nagaland Street Art was born.
The brand believes in creating unique products that are truly designer made. Which means all designs are exclusive, hand painted, and made in Nagaland. But most importantly, all of them are unique and will never be recreated to be sold to someone else.What’s more commendable is that the Nagaland Street Art has already reached some notable client base.
“We have designed tee shirts for world boxing champion M.C.Mary Kom, the Tetseo Sisters, Alobo & The Band, Yakuza Solo for his world tour, and Opang Jamir to name a few. Apart from New Delhi, our art work has been on display at exhibitions around the world including the United States of America, Bhutan, and Hong Kong. There a few more surprises on the way as we are also designing a few tee shirts for Bollywood stars!”
The Team was recently spotted at the Cosfest event!
Found them interesting? You can visit the brand’s quirky, home-based art studio,”The Art Of Fashion” near Modern College at Kohima in Nagaland. If you happen to be around Dimapur then you can also check out a few of their designs that will be available at the town’s Dapper Store too.
Here are a few upcoming sale events where The Nagaland Street Art will be participating. Make sure you check them out at:
- The short-term Art & Design exhibition cum Sale at ‘The Heritage’, Kohima.
- the Nagaland Anime Junkies CosFest on 9th & 10th July
- “August Rush” at ‘The Heritage’, Kohima on 15th August.
Check out their Facebook page ‘The Two Travellers’
Latest posts by Shweta Rao (see all)
- Psychedelic Art and Amusement With Visual Artist/ Musician: Sachin Bhatt from Bangalore - November 17, 2017
- “The human mind never stops thinking; it’s why we run upstairs after turning off the lights at night!”: Thej Yhome | Digital Manga Artist from Nagaland - November 13, 2017
- Sipping Hot Coffee with a View at the Art Cafe | Kalimpong - November 10, 2017