Presenting another delectable recipe for all the pork lovers, cooked in the traditional Assamese style using bamboo tubes. The fresh raw essence and aroma of the bamboo gives the dish a very local smoky flavor, with the use of fresh garden herbs, cooked over the traditional Assamese mud stove. So let’s try it out!
Pork cooked in bamboo tubes in traditional Assamese style.
- Pork – 1 kg
- Ginger- Garlic paste – 3 tbsp
- A handful of mint leaves
- Cilantro 3-4 leaves
- Red chilli (5-6) or king chilli (bhoot jolokia) 1 nos.
- Salt according to taste
- Raw bamboo shoot 50-100g (optional)
- Two bamboo tubes (better if the bamboo is from hilly region)
- Banana leaves
Directions to cook :
- Chop the pork into medium sized pieces, wash thoroughly and keep it aside.
- Crush the mint into a paste type consistency.
- Next, mix the pork with ginger-garlic paste, mint paste, chillies and cilantro
and keep aside for 10 mins (bamboo shoot can also be mixed).
- The marinated pork is now ready to be stuffed inside the bamboo tubes.
- After the tubes are filled, the opening of the tubes should be covered with banana leaves and secured tightly.
- Finally, bake the stuffed bamboo in traditional Assamese stove (Mud stove), controlling the heat properly and turning them at regular intervals. Cook for around 25-30 min.
Serve with steamed joha rice (or any) and fresh salad.
Recipe contributed by Vivek Gogoi (@veevekkukoi).
Latest posts by Pooja Ghose (see all)
- Faces | Narrating Old Tales of Folklore - September 21, 2017
- Doodler Extraordinaire – Lungshai Leisan | Doodles, Illustrations and Comics - September 19, 2017
- This Lady from Gurgaon Makes the Most Beautiful Miniature Doll Houses | Zereh Lalji - September 5, 2017