Today’s recipe comes from our reader, Musky. It’s an original recipe of a sweet dish – Coconut Semolina Barfi. A personal favorite of the contributor and one that requires simple ingredients and is hassle free to prepare. So let’s get started!
- 1 and ½ cups Shredded Coconut
- 2 cups Semolina
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 and ½ cups Warm Water
- 3 tablespoons Oil or melted Ghee
- An array of Dry Fruits (Cashew nuts, dried dates, dried coconut, Kishmish, Almonds)
- Cherry – for Garnish
Directions to Cook :
- In a pan, heat the shredded coconut along with half a cup of sugar – until the sugar melts, and the coconut acquires a translucent color. Set it aside.
- Heat a wok, pour oil and add the semolina. Fry until the semolina turns a golden brown color.
- Put the flame on low heat, and add the dry fruits and the coconut-sugar mix. Mix it well and cook for 1-2 minutes. Keep stirring continuously.
- Add another half a cup of the sugar and mix well.
- Add the warm water and stir vigorously until the water is fully absorbed into the mixture.
- Put the mix on a flat tray and spread it evenly (flat) – making sure the thickness is same throughout the tray.
- Cut them in squares or barfi size and add a cherry to the centre of each barfi.