Naga people love their rice – especially when it’s in the form of ‘Galho’, which is mix dish made of rice, vegetables and various meats. The Angami tribe are the original creators of this dish, which is now a popular local favorite. Our friend Kesang shares the recipe of this popular dish – straight from her kitchen.
- Pumpkin/squash leaves (or any green leafy vegetable)
- Rice (200 grams)
- 1 tablespoon of Axone (Fermented Soyabean)
- Salt to taste
- Smoked Beef/Pork (1 kg)
- Green chillies
- Water (200 ml)
Directions to cook :
- Put water, axone and ground green chillies into a pot and cook it for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Next, add chopped (into 1/2″ cubes) smoked beef/pork into the pot and cook it for another 45 minutes or more until the meat becomes tender
- Put in the rice. Add in more water if required.
- After the rice is almost done, add the chopped greens
- Let it simmer for 5-7 mins, and turn off the gas. Add more salt if needed
Serve hot. Contributed by By Vilazonuo Zatsu
Latest posts by kesangunuo (see all)
- Recipe of Galho – Yummy Rice Dish from Nagaland - July 30, 2017
- Recipe of Snail Dish – Naga Style - July 2, 2017
- Recipe of Machihan | Naga Chutney Made with Bitter Gourd. - June 9, 2017