Here is a special salad recipe from Thailand – a Green Papaya Salad called as ‘Som Tum Thai‘. It has a sweet and spicy taste, and is made of dried shrimps but can be prepared with fermented fish or crabs too. Usually served as a side dish and is equally mouth-watering for a savory snack!
- 1 whole green papaya (shredded)
- 4-5 red chillies
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of palm sugar (you may also use brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp of dried shrimp
- 1-2 long beans
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1.5 tbsp of lime juice
- 2 lime wedges
- 2 tbsp of tamarind juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Roasted peanuts
- Wash and peel the papaya and shred it finely. Keep it aside.
- Now, in a mortal and pestle (hand grinder), put the chilli and garlic and grind them finely.
- Add in the dried shrimp, long beans, cherry tomatoes and grind it again.
- Next, add the lime juice, the lime wedges, tamarind juice, fish sauce and mix it all together.
- Add the shredded papaya and mix it well again.
- Lastly, add in the roasted peanuts and serve.
Serve it as a side with grilled chicken or meat and relish!
Contributed by @charinyas_kitchen.
Latest posts by Pooja Ghose (see all)
- Catching Up With Megosano Sakhrie – A Hand Lettering Artist from Nagaland - October 23, 2017
- Recipe | Diwali Special – Chocolate Barfis - October 18, 2017
- Spotting Fashion at the Ziro Festival of Music 2017 - October 16, 2017