It is true that Naga food is especially popular for their non-vegetarian fare but we love our vegetables just as much. In fact no Naga meal is complete without a side of local vegetables in a variety of formats : raw, steamed, boiled, blanched and so on. Today’s recipe is another really popular mixed vegetable dish called “Rosep Aon” – a specialty of the “Ao” tribe in Nagaland. It’s a slow-cooked dish made of local vegetables with bamboo shoot juice. Scroll down below for the full recipe!
- 500 gms of young furled taro leaves (of the Colocasia plant)
- 250 gms of Mejanga/Sichuan pepper leaves
- 100-200 gms of bitter eggplant (“Likok” in Ao dialect)
- 1 cup of bamboo shoot juice
- 10-15 green chillies – split vertically into 2 each
- Some dried fish for flavor
- Handful of garlic chives for garnish (optional)
- Salt to Taste
- Water as required
Young furled taro leaves (photo below)
Mejanga/Sichuan pepper leaves (Photo below)
Bitter eggplant (photo below)
Bamboo shoot juice (Photo below)
Green Chillies (Photo Below)
Directions to Cook:
- Put all the green leafy vegetables into a big basket /bowl, put salt and mix well
- Now put these vegetables into a vessel, pour the bamboo shoot juice, add the chillies and enough water to cover the vegetables (in the vessel) and cover with a lid, and let it cook for 30 mins.
- Once the water is almost dried, put some roasted dried fish for flavor, and cook for another 5-10 mins, and it’s done!
- Garnish with some garlic chives and serve. It can be stored in a fridge and can be kept for 2-3 days. Can be eaten cold as well.
Watch Video Below: Making “Rosep Aon” – Naga Mixed Vegetables in a Naga kitchen. Enjoy!
- This Interior Designer from Nagaland Transforms Her Old Childhood Home into an Inspiring ‘Tea and Plant’ Corner | Chat with Chumbeno Ezung - October 12, 2020
- “After Years in The Industry, I Was Proud to be Part of a Movie (Axone) with North Eastern People in Lead Roles.” We Chat with Actress and Model Lin Laishram from Manipur - October 5, 2020
- “Nature Gives Me Creative Direction for My Recipes and Photoshoots” – Meet Chef and Food Stylist Akhrieno from Nagaland - September 10, 2020