Hey there! We’ve got something special for you today—a simple recipe from our friend Keny Mehta, who’s based in Kohima. Keny is a true food lover and an amazing cook, and she’s sharing her signature dish with us—a tasty rice bowl with tuna. By the way, we had a fun chat with Keny about her love for food and cooking earlier. You can catch up on it here: [link to interview]. So, let’s jump right into the recipe and learn how to whip up this delicious dish together!
“About the dish: Rice is our staple food in Nagaland, and tuna (tinned fish) is easily accessible in any neighborhood local shop. So it is super easy to make. I recommend adding green leafy vegetables as toppings; you can also some creative and healthy ways to garnish this simple dish with local seasonal greens. Do try it, and hope it makes your day a ‘lil better with this simple dish 🙂” ~ Keny Metha
Spicy Tuna Rice Bowl by Keny Metha
- 1 canned tuna
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp ginger paste (grated fresh ginger)
- 1 tbsp vinegar/lime juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3-5 tsp chili powder (depending on how hot you like it)
- Some toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp cornflour
Directions to make:
- In a small bowl, make a sauce by combining the oyster sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, grated ginger, chili powder, and cornflour. Add a bit of water if needed.
- Heat a pan, add the oil, and fry the garlic till it’s slightly golden. Add the sauce and stir for a bit.
- Add the canned tuna and simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve on top of rice with some assorted greens and sprinkle with sesame seeds. I also added some fish roe for garnish.
- Recipe of ‘Spicy Tuna Rice Bowl’ by Keny Metha - May 23, 2023
- Samuel Duia – Adventurer and Founder of ‘Duia Trailblazers’ Talks about Their Exciting Canyon Discovery in Meghalaya! - August 22, 2021
- Meet 15-Year Old Hiti Seb from Nagaland – Professional Football Player for Sudeva Delhi FC U18s in the Hero I League. - July 17, 2021