Recently we had a customer from Delhi, who bought dried king chilli (Raja mircha), from the R&L Shop. We got so excited that someone out there is adventurous enough to try one of the hottest chillies in the world! So we sent him a sampling set of our other spices as well – which are all available to purchase HERE.
And today, we are sharing a very simple recipe of one of the most popular chutneys in Nagaland – the raja mircha chutney. Dedicating this recipe to all those customers – who have dared to try the king chilly 🙂
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 king Chilly
- 1 large tomato
- 1 glove of garlic
- Salt to taste
Directions to Make:
- Roast the tomatoes and chilies over a fireplace.
- If you have a fireplace at home, then roast the tomato by placing it on top of the hot ash (from the firewood) facing the fire. Keep turning to cook it evenly. Same way, bury the chili inside the hot ash and keep it for about 8-10 mins
- If you don’t have a fireplace at home, use your stove. Heat 2-3 drops of vegetable oil in a flat pan (tawa), cut the tomato into 2 parts and roast it over low flame : 7-10 mins on each side. Do the same for the chilly. Make sure you do not burn or even over-roast it. Rather keep it mildly raw, as this gives a stronger flavour of its distinct aroma.
Roasted king chili and tomato (Here, they have been roasted in a fireplace in a Naga kitchen – over hot ash)
2. Rinse off the ash from the tomato, and peel off the skin.
3. Put the chili in a chutney bowl, put salt and crush it. Once the chili is fully crushed, add the tomato and mash it properly – as it mixes with the crushed chili. Add 1 clove of garlic, crush it, and mix it with the rest of the ingredients in the bowl.
Best served with a Naga meal – comprising of steamed/cooked rice and pork/Fish/Beef etc – with a side of fresh boiled vegetables.
Contributor’s note: “This chutney is way too hot to be used as a dip sauce.”
Latest posts by Roots & Leisure (see all)
- “My Ultimate Goal is to Give Back to My Community” | Face Reveal : Meet Vilina, TERI University Student cum Content Manager, R&L - August 19, 2018
- “This is How I Juggle Classes, Campus Fun and Working with R&L” | Face Reveal: Naro, Content Manager, R&L - August 5, 2018
- Local Fashion Brand “Shipen-Shisang” from Nagaland Celebrates Women with Their Spring Summer ‘18 Collection - June 8, 2018