Today our contributor Inali from Nagaland shares a secret recipe from her kitchen. It’s a crab dish cooked Naga style with an Asian twist using fish sauce and oyster sauce. With an interesting blend of Asian flavors along with local garlic chives, this recipe is a must try for all seafood – and crab lovers! Read on to know how to cook crab in Inali’s local Naga style.
Ingredients (clockwise from left): Green chilies, ginger, garlic, Sichuan pepper, dark soya sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, red chili sauce, corn flour, tomatoes and garlic chives (bottom)
- Fresh local crabs – 14 to 16 (depends on your serving)
- Big red tomatoes – 3
- Green chilies – 6 to 8
- Fresh ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of red chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon of dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour
- Szechuan pepper – 8 to 10 pieces
- Green herb of your choice (used Asian chives here)
Directions to cook:
- Clean the crabs thoroughly.
- Add the crabs, sliced tomatoes and salt to the cooking pot with half-filled water. Close the lid and cook it in full flame for 20 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste, green chilies, and some grounded Sichuan pepper. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Mix the sauces in a separate bowl and pour it into the pot.
- Add some more ginger garlic paste. Dissolve the cornflour and add it into the curry. Stir well.
- Cook for additional 10-15 minutes.
- Put the Asian chives into the curry and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining Szechuan pepper and mix it into the curry. Add water and salt to taste.