Has any one ever binge watched anime’s like Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach, Death Note etc. ? Some of us in the Roots and Leisure team have 😉 There is something about these Japanese animation that is so captivating. For Dechen, it inspired her to write her own mangas and create animations which are based on tribal tales, fantasy and nature.
D.P.Tenzing, 23, is a Manga Artist, Illustrator and Animator living in Delhi. She is originally from Mangan, Sikkim.
- Hi Dechen! Tell us something about your art. How did you begin in the first place?
When I was a kid I always loved watching cartoons and anime but after a certain point my mother started getting worried about me. Thinking something was wrong with me because at my age people would start watching normal T.V shows.
Back in my village, I was watching Animax for the first time and Inuyasha was being aired. I was like “WOW!”. I then took out a pen and I was like “HOW?” and the rest is history.
- What is the source of your inspiration?
I love doing tribal, fantasy, nature and women themes. Tribal because I got to find out some pretty weird tales from my Rong-kup tribe, for example, Legendary Cock.
There are so many stories that are getting lost from the tribal people because of globalization and modernization and I would like to collect it and help keep it alive.
- What do you want to achieve through your art?
I would like to go back to my village life again. I want to open up an animal sanctuary, not a Zoo, and be able to live and collect the Rong-kup way of life.
- Do you sell them too? Gift? How do you share your art?
I do sell my art. I also take donations for various reasons. I share my art through Instagram, Facebook, Flicker, Webtoons and Youtube.
Adventures of the lovable INGING and her journey through the magical realms of lesser known worlds. Inspired by my very green and luscious mountains of Sikkim and the lore surrounding this side of the misty mountains. Pics and video courtesy of Dechen.
Latest posts by Roots & Leisure (see all)
- R&L Editor Megumi D’Souza Takes Us Through Her Fun-Filled Life in Mumbai – Juggling Work, Gigs and R&L - October 6, 2018
- Ziro Festival of Music 2018 | Event Co-Founder Bobby Hano Gives Us a Glimpse into the Festival Preparation Mood from Ziro Arunachal - September 26, 2018
- “My Ultimate Goal is to Give Back to My Community” | Face Reveal : Meet Vilina, TERI University Student cum Content Manager, R&L - August 19, 2018