Who remembers those family picnics to the river side, where everyone – young and old gets busy catching fish? The day ends with cooking a hearty meal with a huge vessel of rice (to match the big appetite!) – and the fishes caught , with fresh local ingredients and herbs – over an open fire. Absolute bliss! We may not be able to go on such picnics often, but at least we can try to recreate the mood and the appetite in our kitchens. Thanks to our passionate cook – Sochonphy Lunghar, who sends across her very own Naga recipe of rivercatch fresh fish and prawns – cooked with a local ingredient “Tree Tomato or Tamarillo”
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- 1 kilogram fresh river fish and prawns
- Local ginger leaves
- 4 chopped Naga onions
- 5 hooker chives
- 1 dry king chilli
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 2 chopped tree tomatoes
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
Directions to Cook:
- Clean the fresh river fish and prawns thoroughly; remove the bitter innards from the fish if needed.
- Put all the ingredients : fish, prawns, ginger leaves, tree tomatoes, dry king chilli, chopped Naga onions, and hooker chives into the pot with boiling water. Add some turmeric and salt to taste
- Stir well but carefully, and cook in low heat – covering the pot with a lid
- Turn off the gas once the water is dried up, and all the ingredients are blended together.
Garnish with some chopped hooker chives and serve it with piping hot rice. Bon appetite!
- Recipe | Naga Fish Dish Made of Fresh River Fish and Prawns - April 8, 2018