No grand feast in Manipur is complete without ‘Uti thongba.’ Uti thongba is a classic manipuri vegetarian dish and there is a variety of how the locals cook and it is enjoyed as a main dish or even a side dish with your favourite meat curry .
Today our contributor Tushar from Manipur shares his favorite type of Uti Thongba called ‘Usoi Mangan uti’ (Whole grain with fresh bamboo shoot uti). Read on to find out how to make it!
Cooking time: 40-50 minutes
- 2 cups of overnight soaked dry peas
- 1 cup of sliced bamboo shoots
- 2-3 tbs of mustard oil
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 green chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 and a half serving spoons of chopped chives
- 1 and a half serving spoons of chopped winter leek
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 3/4 tsp of sodium bicarbonate.
Ingredients: Clockwise(L-R) Sliced fresh bamboo shoot, chopped chives, and Overnight soaked dry peas
Clockwise (Top R-L) Bay leaf, Cumin seeds, Green chilies, oil, Sodium bicarbonate and salt
Directions to cook :
- Heat up the vessel and put oil and wait for the timing
- When it’s ready, add tejpata, zeera and methi.
- After sometime add maroi nakuppi (chives) and stir it for a few good seconds.
- Time to add manggan (yellow pea), water, sodium bicarbonate.
*Make sure to add baking soda before it comes to a boil, most probably right after you add the water.
- Now add usoi (fresh bamboo shoot) and green chillies.
- Boil it until the peas get soft and the usoi to be cooked. Add salt as per taste.
Usoi mangan uti is now ready to eat with hot local rice and your favorite meat curry!
25 year old from Manipur , who enjoys exploring indigenous cuisine and love to cook . I also own a youtube channel called "The OO-Morok trails"