“Are banana blossoms edible?” Absolutely yes – and they have some noteworthy benefits for your health too. Just look it up.
Not only that, they are just as delectable, and a popular ingredient used in various North East Indian recipes. Today, we are making a banana blossom dish with another star ingredient: Smoked pork. An interesting add-on would be the ‘Likok’ aka Bitter Eggplant, which lends a balancing taste note to the overall dish. This non-fussy dish is simple to make but has a unique memorable taste. So let’s start cooking!
Smoked Pork with Banana Blossom and Likok Eggplants
- 1 Kg Smoked pork (chopped into cubes)
- 1 banana blossom
- 3-4 potatoes
- Around 100 gms of whole Eggplant bitter (Likok)
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes
- 8-10 Green chilies
- Salt to taste
Getting the Ingredients Ready:
- Banana blossoms: Remove the outer covers until you get the inner softer white portion. Now holding it vertically with the stalk on top, start slicing into small thin pieces with a sharp knife. (Refer the above photo)
- Smoked Pork: Chop into 1″ pieces, and clean well with warm water
- Potatoes: Peel and cut into halves
- Eggplant bitter: Remove the stems, and wash. Leave them whole.
- Tomatoes: Put a deep cut from the top in the middle; leave them whole
- Green Chillies: Chopped
Ingredients for ‘Smoked Pork with Banana Blossom’
Directions to Cook:
- Put all the above ingredients into a deep vessel and pour sufficient water to cover them fully. Add salt.
- Cover with a lid, and cook on medium-high heat until the potatoes are soft, and the smoked pork is almost done.
- Take out the tomatoes and potatoes and put them into a mortar and pestle, and mash them.
- Put them back to the pot, and continue cooking with the lid open. Cook on low flame.
- Add more water if required (this is a stew, so add water accordingly). Also, taste and see if you need to add more salt. Add if required.
- Let it simmer for another 5-10 mins.
- Smoked pork with banana blossom is ready to be served with rice. Enjoy!
Latest posts by Local Foodie (see all)
- Recipe | Smoked Pork with Banana Blossom and Bitter Eggplant (Likok) - March 29, 2021
- Naga Recipe | River Fish with Bastenga (Bamboo Shoot Juice) - March 6, 2021
- Recipe of Naga Doughnut – A Local Favorite and Christmas Must-Have - December 25, 2020