Come December, most households in Nagaland will be busy making doughnuts at home. Especially on Christmas eve, the whole family and neighbors get together post-dinner to spend hours making this most cherished festive snack – over cups and cups of hot tea and coffee, with Boney M playing in the background. Today, one of our friends Senti from Nagaland shares her family’s doughnut recipe.
- 1 Kg Flour
- 2 tablespoons Baking powder
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 cup Ghee
- Oil for deep frying
Directions to Make
- Mix the flour and baking powder
- Separate the egg white and the yoke
- Now beat the egg white until fluffy and add the sugar to the egg white. Now blend in the yoke and the ghee and mix well
- Add the egg mixture to the flour and baking powder, and make a dough. Knead well. Leave it aside for 2 hours
- Knead the dough again
- Now take a rolling pin, and roll out the dough on a wide flat surface (usually a dining table in a Naga household). Thickness to be a little less than 1/2 inch.
- Now take 2 sizes of cookie cutter (Nescafe coffee lid and a deep wine bottle cap works well)
- Now take the bigger cookie cutter and cut out circles. Take the smaller cutter and make holes in each of the bigger circles.
- Deep fry the doughnuts and set aside to cool
- Serve with a hot cup of coffee. Merry Christmas!
Latest posts by Local Foodie (see all)
- Recipe | Smoked Pork with Banana Blossom and Bitter Eggplant (Likok) - March 29, 2021
- Naga Recipe | River Fish with Bastenga (Bamboo Shoot Juice) - March 6, 2021
- Recipe of Naga Doughnut – A Local Favorite and Christmas Must-Have - December 25, 2020