Hands up if you have sweet memories of tucking into a hot stack of French Toast for breakfast. Team R&L certainly remembers having it packed for lunch, or relishing it as an afternoon snack at home. Today our contributors – Sabiha & Sameena – the lovely sisters from The Mid Mess tell us how they like to give the French Toast a special twist of sweet indulgence. Let’s find out how.
French Toast is a popular breakfast dish all across the world but this version by The Mid Mess is an all-out indulgence. Try this recipe out and impress your friends with a special dessert, weekend brunch or a yummy snack at any time of the day.
Ingredients for the French Toast:
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 50 ml milk
- 3 bananas, thinly sliced
- 6 slices bread
- 4 eggs
- 50 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp Nutella or chocolate spread
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Toasted coconut slices
Ingredients (Clockwise from left): Salted caramel, milk, bread, banana, eggs & toasted coconut slices
Ingredients for the Salted Caramel:
- 100 gm brown sugar
- 60 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pouring cream
- 1 tsp salt
Directions to Cook:
- Whisk eggs, milk and cinnamon powder in a bowl to combine.
- Dip each slice of bread into the batter one after the other.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add butter.
- Put the batter coated bread slices on the pan and toast them on both sides for a minute on each side until golden brown.
- Repeat the process for all the bread slices.
Directions to make the salted caramel :
- Stir sugar and 40 ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and cook for 6-8 minutes until it becomes a thick caramel.
- Remove the pan off the stove and whisk in the cubes of butter. Be careful while combining as the hot caramel could split.
- Slowly add the cream while constantly mixing. The mixture will foam and rise so be careful. Add 1 teaspoon of salt (or to taste) and whisk again to combine.
- Keep warm on the side.
Suggestions for plating your French toast for an Insta-worthy picture:
- Place a slice of French toast and generously spread some of the salted caramel. Slather on some chocolate sauce or Nutella. Add some sliced banana and repeat the process to form a stack. To finish, put some toasted coconut slices on the top.
How do you like your French toast? Tell us when you give this recipe a shot and tag us to share your own version. Enjoy 🙂
Chocolate and banana French toast with salted caramel is ready to eat. Serve hot, drizzled with warm salted caramel.
Latest posts by Themidmess (see all)
- #Recipe | Good Ol’ French Toast With Banana, Chocolate and Salted Caramel - September 15, 2018