KOLOMA from Tripura is back with some new music! Their EP titled “CHAPMANLIYA” Releasing today consists of 5 Songs and assures the listener some refreshing numbers with flavors across Indie and modern music Genres. Folk tunes remain the primary element throughout the whole EP.
All the songs originals have composed and written in their native language “KOKBOROK”. All songs from their latest EP are available for streaming on Spotify and iTunes. (details below)
We had a quick chat with the band members about the release of their latest EP ‘Chapmanliya’
Congratulations on the release of your latest EP! What does ‘Chapmanliya’ mean?
The word ‘Chapmanliya’ translates to ‘confusion’/‘confused state of mind’
How long have you guys been working on this EP?
Probably around Six (6) months. Yes, it is our pandemic baby 🙂
Recordin of ‘Chapmanliya’ in progress |Koloma, Tripura
Koloma band | Chapmanliya recording session
What were the theme, stories, influences that constantly kept the band inspired and motivated in creating this EP?
Keeping to the band’s mission, our constant motivation remains the same – and that is to take the art,culture and tradion of the natives of indigenous people in Tripura to the masses and keep them relevent through our music and stories. And most importantly, promoting our native language ‘Kokborok.’ Moreover, our last album was in the year 2018, so and we felt the need to create some new music for our fans.
What was the most memorable story/incident that you recall while making this album.
One of our songs got erased by mistake, and we had to record the whole song over again!
In 1-2 lines, give our readers a gist of your latest EP “CHAPMANLIYA” What should we expect?
We feel in this EP people will experience something new with flavors of Koloma added to it. And thanks a lot for this piece, we are totally indebted to you all. Keep supporting.
Band members of Koloma breaks down all the 5 songs of their latest EP “CHAPMANLIYA” below – with direct links to the sings on soundcloud. You can stream their music on Spotify and iTunes as well.
- The title song of the EP “CHAPMANLIYA” talks about the initial excitement of ‘Love at First Sight’ Among the Listeners. That phase, where new lovers experience that beautiful emotion that Love can bring – but in quick succession has to bear the pain of separation, and the longing for that next meetings. The Song Carries the flavors of Rock Pop and Alternative Rock fused with melodies of Tripuri Folk.
- Next Song “KHATIWUI” is our musical rendition of a popular folk tale called “Long Distance Love and Relationship.” This song is more of one-sided love and the feeling of being ignored. The listeners will feel the emotion of such yearning desires and romantic dilemmas throughout. We use Tripuri folk instruments like “SARINDA”, “CHONGPRENG”, “WAKHROP” and “KHAAM”
- “NAIRA NAIRA” is again about the beautiful emotions one experiences during the initial dating phase – which is usually an overload of nervousness and excitement at the same time. Most importantly “The wait” for the next date, when every second seems like a difficult wait.
- The fourth song “KHUNAI KWRWI” is about the feelings of nostalgia experienced by people staying away from home, their native, families, and friends. Staying Miles and Miles away amidst unknown people, identities, and being lost in the crowd. “Khunai Kwrwi” is the remembrance of things happening in the Native and continuity of Folklores. The backdrop of the song is a typical rural afternoon lifestyle, reminiscing about the impact of globalization, and how that has led to forgetting our rich history and roots. It describes the sad reality of the Tripuri people. The song is a fusion experimented with Tripuri Folk music and Indian Classical Music with added flavors of post-rock.
- The Final Song of the EP comes down to “TEISA UIPHILWI” which is a TRIPURI Folk treat to the listeners contain the most Groovy features of Tripuri Folk. The artistry of Gentle Flirting, teasing, and praising the undefined Beauty of Women in a native way had been broadcasted through this song.
Koloma’s new Song ‘Khunai Kwrwi’ from their EP ‘Chapmanliya’ 2020
- “We Enjoyed This Breathtaking View and The Famous Shrimp Pakoras at the Nambol Bora Hotel, Manipur” – Chingngam, Imphal - November 15, 2021
- “This is Me at My Best With All My Flaws.” – Kekhrie Ringa from Nagaland on Her Latest Music Video ‘Made for You’ - November 1, 2021
- ‘Mu Kimchi’ Restaurant in Gangtok, Sikkim is a Korean Food Lover’s Paradise | Chat with Owner Nitesh Chamling - April 6, 2021