Hello there! It’s been a while since we’ve shared anything on our online blog. Our last post was published on the 26th of Jan, and we have been on an intentional break as we got caught up with our busy life. But all that while, we have been thinking hard about ‘de-stressing’, ‘taking it easy’, ‘time to chill’ and so many such ideas.
And then COVID happens. Look at us! All locked inside our homes as we coalesce into this virtual community sharing our fears and thoughts – while trying hard to stay positive amidst all the chaos that is happening around us.
These trying times have highlighted the importance of staying connected with like-minded individuals, sharing information, encouraging and supporting each other, and extending a helping hand to our neighbors and communities. Today’s ‘Instant Noodles’ recipe is a perfect demonstration of how the community can come together and make things happen!
Here’s what happened:
One of our readers, currently residing in Delhi during this lockdown, reached out to us expressing his desperate craving for ‘Nagaland chow (noodles)’ and his unsuccessful attempts at making it. We quickly shared his message with our R&L community, and luckily, our friendly home chef, Kristi Kikon from Nagaland, came to the rescue.
Kristi informed us that she too is experiencing the difficulties of the lockdown, specifically in sourcing high-quality noodles. However, she suggested improvising with Maggi or Wai Wai, which she believes most of us will have at home, lockdown or not. Let’s learn how to prepare this special recipe.
A big shoutout to Kristi for always inspiring us with her delicious recipes. Today, she has gone above and beyond with her generous act of sharing her recipe for ‘Nagaland Chow’. Keep reading to discover how to make your own version of this popular dish using Maggi or Wai Wai noodles.
Learn how to make the famous ‘Nagaland Chow’ using Maggi or Wai Wai noodles. Recipe by Kristi Kikon.
- Maggi, Wai Wai, or any other instant noodles.
- Refined cooking oil
- Assorted vegetables of your choice (mix of leafy vegetables, carrots, spring onion, etc.)
- Chopped green chilies
- Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 egg
- Meat pickle (optional. We used beef pickle)
- Thinly chopped cabbage (for garnish)
How to Cook:
- Prep your vegetables and meat, and keep them ready in a tray/huge platter so that it’ll be easy for you to cook them later.
- Cook your Maggi or Wai Wai how you’d normally cook it. Strain out all the water, and keep it aside – separate from the noodles.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp of the refined oil over the noodles so that it does not stick to the pan while cooking them again with all the mixed vegetables and meat.
- Now take the ‘noodle stock’ (water where you boiled the noodles earlier), add some chopped coriander and 1 raw egg while the water is still warm, and gently stir the egg (do not beat). This will be your egg masala soup (served as a side to your ‘Naga noodles’)
- Now coming back to the noodles, heat 3 tbsp of cooking oil in a pan and stir fry your mixed chopped vegetables. If you’re planning to use meat now would be the time to stir fry them as well with the vegetables.
- Now add your instant noodles to the pan, Garnish with your choice of herbs. Your instant noodles are now ready to serve. Serve with the egg-based soup
Garnish with an egg on top and serve with the egg-based soup made out of the leftover water from preparing the noodles. Enjoy!
- Candid Chat with Jay from Mizoram : 19-Year-Old Whose Rockstar Style and K-Pop Charisma Have Fans Swooning on Social Media - May 5, 2023
- An Exclusive Interview with Millo Sunka from Arunachal on Winning ‘Best Leading Actress’ at The Rome Prisma Film Awards for ‘Nocturnal Burger’ - April 28, 2023
- “Weekdays for International Brands, and Weekends for Building My Own Brand” Fashion Designer Mhiesi Meyase from Nagaland Talk Fashion Dreams - April 18, 2023