Lately the weather here in Nagaland hasn’t been that good for most people. The alternating cycle of the humidity and the rain is very unpleasant and can ruin our appetite too. But again, we need to eat adequately (and healthily) to keep ourselves from falling ill. So keeping these things in mind, we came out with an original recipe of our own, which is really simple – that is tasty and super healthy as well. We’re calling it the ‘Leho Chicken‘.
Do try making it and share your feedback 🙂
We used Chicken – with bones and skin. They are tastier that way and really helps in maximizing the flavour. But feel free to use boneless or skinless chicken if you want a low fat dish.
- 1 whole Chicken (curry cut )
- 6 green chillies
- 6 gloves of garlic
- 1 stem of fresh bamboo shoot
- 3 table spoons of Oyster Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 medium sized onion
- 1 small Lemon/ 1 big slice of lime
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 750 ml water
- Salt to taste
For the bamboo shoot , incase you don’t get the fresh ones then you can opt for the less fermented bamboo shoot we get in the market.
Soak the bamboo shoot in water for about 5-6 hours to make it less sour
We used this Oyster Sauce (Made in Thailand)
You can use any type of honey. We used the VLCC Slimmer’s honey
Directions to Cook:
- Step 1: First, you’ll need to marinate. So clean the chicken. Squeeze the Lemon and Pour the honey over the chicken. Mix well and keep it aside in the refrigerator for about 2 hours (minimum). Because Chicken is quite lean, and we also want this recipe to be very light in texture, so do not put salt while marinating.
- Step 2: Take out the chicken after 2 hours of marination, pour the oil in a deep nonstick wok. Add the onion first and saute it for a minute. Next add the chillies (Chopped vertically),garlic (thinly sliced), the marinated chicken, Salt and water. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Step 3: Cover and let it cook. When the water has dried up to half the amount poured in, put in the oyster sauce and the fresh bamboo shoot. Cook for 10 more minutes but this depends on you i.e if you want gravy then 10 minutes otherwise you can cook till all the water has been absorbed. We suggest you leave some gravy on.
Serve with steamed rice. Yum!
- Recipe| Lemon Honey Chicken in Fresh Bamboo Shoot - July 27, 2016
- Silkworms | The Eco-Friendly Naga Delicacy - July 4, 2016
- Naga Dish | Beef with Sun Dried Spring Onion - June 27, 2016