North East Indian food is known for their typical style of cooking – which is usually, steaming or boiling, and the use of fresh ingredients and flavorful local spices. Today we have one of our favorite home chefs – Geeta from Assam, make an interesting fish dish combining all the trademarks of most cuisines from the region.
It’s a subtly flavored fish stew with seasonal veggies and aromatic Vietnamese mint, “Many have a preset concept that boiled fish is smelly but that is totally wrong” says Geeta. Totally agree! It’s all in the right mix of spices and technique. Let’s find out how!
Fish Stew With Aromatic Vietnamese Mint by Geeta Dutta From Guwahati, Assam.
- 1 Kg Fish (Rohu or Katla, sliced into thin pieces)
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger (crushed )
- 5-10 cloves of Garlic
- 4-5 Green Chilies
- 3 Tomatoes
- 4-5 Baby potatoes
- 2-3 Carrots
- Black Pepper (according to taste)
- Spring onions
- Vietnamese mint
- Crush the ginger, garlic and green chillies separately.
- Roast (over a fireplace or stove) 3 ripe tomatoes and mash them. (I prefer to roast in woodfire)
Directions to cook the dish :
- Pour 4 cups of water to a pot and boil it.
- Add the baby potatoes, carrots, the smoked tomatoes and salt to it.
- Now add the minced ginger, garlic and chillies.
- Sprinkle a little bit of black pepper on top.
- Add the fish pieces and the chopped spring onions.
- Check salt and then close the lid, let it simmer for about 10 mins.
- Lastly, add the chopped Vietnamese mint generously.
Fish Stew with Aromatic Vietnamese Mint is ready to be served with a bowl of hot steamed rice!
Latest posts by Shanmi (see all)
- “I’ve Been Staying In India For The Past 9 Years And It Feels Like My Second Home Now” – A Chat With Minseong Seok From South Korea To Talk About His “Daily Sushi” Restaurant - March 22, 2019
- “I Want The Onlooker to Sense Calm and Tranquillity – and Walk Away Feeling Refreshed”- A Chat With Artist Visedelie Seyie from Nagaland - March 21, 2019
- “Being a Huge Fan of Harry Potter, I Started Making Magic Wands to Add to my Collection – and That’s How It All Began” – Potterhead Megha Thapa from Darjeeling Talks About Her Venture “Wands by Meghamax” - March 20, 2019