Have you heard of a dish called ‘Bai’? “Bai is a kind of soup that hails from the exotic state of Mizoram. The state boasts of a number of indigenous leafy greens, many of which are unheard of and several of these greens are used in preparing Bai. Whatever vegetables are in season ,find their way into Bai. Commonly used ingredients in Mizo kitchens, King chillies and fermented mustard, are also used in making this soup. If it is being served to non-vegetarians, pork sauce can be added. Bai is simple to prepare and very nutritious.” says Priya Iyer.
Today, Priya is going to show us her version of vegetarian Bai – made with the stalks of Cauliflower. Scroll down to find out which ingredients she has used and how she has prepared it:
Recipe of Mizoram’s favourite dish, “Bai” – made with stalks of Cauliflower | contributed by Priya Iyer
- Water (5-6 cups)
- Baking soda (1/2 tbsp)
- Finely chopped cauliflower stalks + leaves + florets (2 cups)
- Beans (5-6 finely chopped)
- Potato (1) – peeled and finely chopped
- Green chillies (4, slit length-wise)
- Cooked rice (1/4 cup)
- Salt to taste
- Pour the water in a cooking pot. Place it on high heat and bring it to boil.
- Add salt to taste and baking soda, then mix well.
- Add the chopped cauliflower stalks, florets and leaves, as well as the chopped beans and potato. Also, add the green chillies. Stir well.
- Keep the pot covered and cook in medium flame for about 15-20 minutes – until the vegetables get tender and not overly mushy.
- Keep checking periodically, add more water if the mixture gets too thick and continue stirring.
- Now, add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Cook uncovered on medium flame for a couple of minutes more.
And your Cauliflower Stalk Bai is ready to serve! Click HERE for more food recipes by Priya Iyer.
- A Chat With 19-Year-Old Keyicudauke Iranggau aka Keyi Zeliang, Passionate Singer From Nagaland - July 15, 2019
- #RECIPE | Mizoram’s Favourite Dish ‘Bai’ – Made With The Stalks Of Cauliflower | by Priya Iyer - July 13, 2019
- A Glimpse Of Life On Dal Lake, Srinagar With Tiarenla Jamir From Nagaland - July 12, 2019