Today we have yet another simple-to-make and super yummy dish from Nagaland. A traditionally cooked meat dish – made of smoked meat* with kholar (local kidney beans) to be relished with cooked rice and vegetables and chutney on the side. Recipe was contributed by food lover Elika Awomi from Nagaland.
*Smoked meat used in this dish is a combination of both pork and beef – which is a common way of cooking smoked meat dishes. The smoked pork lard adds a distinct flavor and texture to the whole dish.
Cooking time : 45 – 60 minutes
- 1.5 kilo of mixed smoked meat (cleaned and cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 5-6 greens chilies
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- Handful of dry fermented bamboo shoot (BUY ON OUR SHOP)
- 1 cup fresh or dried kholar (local kidney beans)
- 1 small pice (~2 inches) Naga ginger (more zestier than regular ginger)
- Salt to taste
Directions to Cook:
- Wash the kholar if it is fresh, or soak it overnight if it’s dry
- Cut the smoked meat into 2 inch pieces each, and keep it aside
- Soak the dry bamboo shoot in warm water for 10 minutes and drain the water
- In a deep pot, put the meat pieces, 5-6 mashed green chilies (depending on your taste), 4-5 cloves of garlic, kholar, water and salt to taste. Let it all boil till the meat is almost cooked
- Take out some of the cooked kholar, mash it and put it back to give a thick consistency for the gravy
- During the last fifteen minutes of cooking, add the soaked fermented bamboo shoot, and let it boil
- Lastly, crush the hot Naga ginger and mix into the dish and stir for 1-2 mins, and take it off the gas. Dish is ready!
The traditionally cooked Smoked Meat with Kholar Beans is ready to be served with piping hot rice. Bon Appétit!
Latest posts by Elika Awomi (see all)
- Faces | ‘Memories of My Childhood Home in Nagaland’ by Elika Awomi - April 20, 2018
- #Recipe | Naga Smoked Meat Cooked with Kholar Beans - April 14, 2018
- Recipe | Smoked Pork with Akhuni and Black Sesame Seeds - August 6, 2017