Naga Cuisine is known for it’s bold ingredients and hot spices (yes, we mean Raja Mircha/ Bhut Jolokia) Well today, we have a dish that has both these elements : a local dish made out of Hornet’s larvae, cooked with pork and raja mircha.
Pelevotuo Solo, Owner of “Mom and I” Cafe, Kohima contributes this recipe, which is one of the most popular dishes in his cafe. Full recipe below:
Prep Time: 15 mins; Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1kg diced pork meat
- 250 gms of hornet’s larvae
- 2 Raja marches or 10-12 dry red chillies
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 20 gms fresh bamboo shoot
- Salt to taste
Spices Used – Clockwise from Left (Photo below) : Fresh Bamboo Shoot, Ginger and Raja Mircha
Directions to Cook:
- Cook the pork in 500ml of water and add salt to taste
- Add the larvae after 20 mins and let it cook for another 15 mins.
- Rinse the bambooshoot with hot water ( to decrease heavy sourness)
- Put the bambooshoot and dried chilly together and cook for about 40mins, stirring it from time to time.
- Finally, add the minced ginger and cook for 5 more mins.
- The curry is now ready to serve.
Enjoy it with a bowl of hot steaming rice. Bon appétit! (Know more about the contributor of this recipe – Pelevotuo Solo, Owner of “Mom and I” Cafe, Kohima)
- Music Producer / Mix Engineer VI-LO from Nagaland Chats about his First Single “Remember When” - July 5, 2020
- 21 Things to Do During Lockdown – by Ikaty Kinimi from Nagaland - June 24, 2020
- “This Too Shall Pass But Our Actions Taken During This Pandemic May Change The Course of Our Life” ~ Kuzote Lohe from Nagaland Shares His View on Life After COVID-19 - June 8, 2020