Here’s a recipe that is loved by the locals in Nagaland. This dish is made of snails (called ‘hamok‘ in Nagamese), local beans and pork.
- Snail (200 grams)
- Pork (1kg)
- Beans (20-25 )
- Garlic (10 cloves)
- Salt to taste
- Dried red chillies (15-20)
- Soak the snails in clear water for 48 hrs (so that they cleanse themselves). Change the water every 24 hours.
- Rinse the snails thoroughly
- With a spoon, tap the pointed end of the snail to make a hole, so that the spices can go inside, while cooking.
- Make a paste out the red chillies, ginger and garlic
DIRECTIONS TO COOK:
- Cook the pork till tender in a pressure cooker (30-35 mins)
- In another pot, put the (cooked) pork, the hamok (snail), and the chilli-garlic-ginger paste
- Pour some water, and let it cook for 30-40 mins
- Lastly put the beans and cook it for 5-10 minutes, put water if required.
Serve with warm steamed rice and enjoy.