Pork is one of northeast India’s most favourite meats. Whether it is smoked, fermented or cooked fresh, either way it tastes wonderful. Today, our contributor Thanyo Lungleng, a Tangkhul naga from Manipur shares the recipe for her version of “Spicy fermented pork with escargot”. The dish contains our favourite combination – fermented pork and escargot. It can never go wrong!
One traditional cooking advice my mother always gave me was to always add the chili powder and ginger paste at the beginning of cooking and add the garlic paste seconds before turning off the heat. This really enhances the flavour and aroma of the dish.” – Thanyo Lungleng.
Thanyo shares her recipe for a special dry dish, Spicy Fermented Pork and Escargot.
- A big piece of homemade fermented pork
- Escargot (Tharoi in Manipuri)
- Wild/long cilantro
- Ginger ground to a paste
- Garlic ground to a paste
- Chili powder (from Sirarakhong village, Ukhrul district) and salt to taste.
Ingredients for Thanyo’s spicy fermented pork and escargot dish (L-R): Escargot, fermented pork, ginger, garlic, long cilantro, chili powder and salt.
Directions to cook :
- Add the pork in a pan and cook it without any water or oil.
- When it starts sizzling add salt, chili powder, ginger paste and chopped wild cilantro.
- Cook for 5 mins and then add the escargot.
- Add 1/2 – 1 cup of water and let it simmer until cooked.
- Add the garlic paste seconds before putting off the heat.
- Serve your yummy dish of pork and escargot with a steaming bowl of plain rice and enjoy!
Serve your yummy dish of fermented pork and escargot with a steaming bowl of plain rice and enjoy!
Thanyo Lungleng is a cook by hobby and loves experimenting with various recipes using meat and vegetables and also bakes cakes and desserts.
Latest posts by Shanmi (see all)
- RECIPE | Food Blogger Ksh Donny from Manipur Makes Japanese Onigirazu and Korean Kimbap using Local Black Rice - January 19, 2019
- “I am Often Intrigued by Stories Behind The Face of a Stranger – A Vague Glimpse of Which, is Often Shared Through a Glowing Eye” ~ Helivi Zhimomi - January 18, 2019
- “I Want to Put North East India on The Global Fashion Map” – Fashion Designer Reena Ahanthem from Manipur Talks About Her Fashion Aspirations and Next Moves - January 17, 2019