Someone wise once said, “There are two kinds of people in the world – those who love dolls and those who don’t yet know that they love dolls.”
A doll’s journey to being born in its maker’s imagination and then later in our world begins decades earlier. It begins with a gathering of a lifetime of seemingly unrelated skills, which then one day collide and end up in complete and total creative harmony. And then slowly and steadily, dolls carry millions of children across the world into a world of sheer happiness.
Today we met up with one such talented maker, Ashibo who has been creating some super cute handmade crochet dolls. Cute and stylish (just like the lady who makes them), it looks as if the dolls await to tell us a story, and Ashibo is their chosen medium. Were we right or were we just making things up in our minds? We asked Ashibo to help us answer.
- What was the inspiration behind creating these beautiful crochet dolls?
Well, I have always loved knitting and making hand-made artifacts as a hobby. I started making crochet dolls after my nephew was born. I just wanted him to gift him something personal and unique. So, I created my first doll for him and really enjoyed the process. He was the inspiration that drove me to make more dolls.
- You turned your hobby to a full-fledged business successfully. How did you make that happen?
After I made a few dolls for my nephew, I received a lot of encouragement from my family members and wellwishers who loved them. They encouraged me to start selling them to more friends and extended family members who were interested in paying for them.
That is how my passion turned into a small-scale business named ‘Cuddly Crochet’. As of today, I don’t have any employees for my brand. It’s just me making the dolls. I consider myself fortunate to be creating something I adore while catering to a niche market for young moms and their kids. These are customers who are looking for something personal and handmade, and Cuddly Crochet makes them happy.
- What price range are the ‘Cuddly Crochet’ dolls on offer for?
The dolls’ prices range from INR 350 to INR 1500, depending on the size, workmanship and the design of the doll.You can buy her cute crochet dolls on the R&L SHOP
Update from Jan 2017 : Good News! You can buy her cute crochet dolls on the R&L SHOP
- My Experimentations with Film Photography and Stop-Motion | Pravesh Hingmang from Gangtok, Sikkim - January 16, 2018
- This Bangalore Artist and Illustrator Takes Surreal Art to the Next Level – Meet Vibhav Singh - January 8, 2018
- A Chat with the Creators Behind “MoonshineFolks” Hong Kong, an Art Project Involving Beautiful Floral Arrangements and People - December 22, 2017