“Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” We have already heard enough of how travel and exploring new places are not only good for our physical wellbeing, but it can also do wonders for our mental and emotional health. To validate this, we’ve heard so many wonderful stories from travelers in the R&L community, who we admit, are having a ball and most importantly, have many wise words to share as well.
So today, we have another young member, 24-year old Arenla from Nagaland to enlighten us all on why we should travel often, and also how to manage your expenses and travel planning. Currently a student in California, she talks about how her passion for learning about new cultures motivated her enough to take up a research study on intercultural communication, and how her love for travel compliments her interests and passions in so many ways.
We chat with Arenla from Nagaland about her current life as a communications student in South Carolina, and shares some lovely tips on how she manages her expenses and time for her travels, her favorite destinations and more!
Hi Arenla, please introduce yourself.
Hello! My name is Arenla, 24 and I’m from Nagaland. I am doing my Master’s in Communication Studies in South Carolina in the States.
We see that you love to travel. Tell us what travel means to you.
At this point in my life, traveling is all about unwinding, relaxing and taking a break from everything. School and work can get monotonous over time, so I look forward to traveling as a means to take a break and get away and come back refreshed with some new learnings.
To have a vacation ahead to look forward to, and knowing I’m going to travel to a new place keeps me going and excited. I love experiencing different cultures, new places, and FOOD! I’m a total foodie and good food makes me very happy 🙂
Growing up, I was exposed to many different cultures and that I guess created this desire within to want to venture out and explore new opportunities and places. Meeting new people from all over the world and experiencing different cultures, is something that excites me no end. Also one of the reasons why I a have taken up a research on intercultural communication in my graduate school level.
Aren goes biking around Miami and stops to say hi to a cute little boy
Aren enjoying her visit to Disneyworld
So how do you plan your many travels? Give us some tips!
If I were a successful working professional with plenty of moolah, planning wouldn’t be that hard! 😀 I could go to any place I want to and basically do anything I desire. But I’m still in school, with plenty of bills to pay *sigh* so good planning is key.
- Good planning is key: My friends and I usually decide on where to go depending on our budget. After deciding on whether we will be flying or driving, we usually scour and look around for a good AirBnb. The rest of the planning involves finding things to do around the city, places to visit and good places to eat.
- Plan with friends who share the same interests: Our group of friends share the same love and passion for food. “Birds of a feather flock together.” True, ain’t it? 🙂 That’s how we basically plan for our trips.
- Budgeting, Saving and Being Frugal: Honestly, just being really frugal and making sure I’ve saved enough months before the trip. Also, cutting down on secondary necessities and proper budgeting. My girlfriends and I also stop eating out in order to curb our spendings which usually help a great deal. This also helps us get our bodies ready for the trip haha. Relatable much?
Name five travel essentials in your bag.
Face masks! Plenty of face masks. My face gets dry overtime with all the traveling and a good hydrating face mask saves the day. Masks from Esfolio are my go-to’s. Chapstick, because chapped lips can be a pain. Sunscreen, body mist and serums from ‘The Ordinary’ complete the list.
Aren’s some of her top travel essentials
Which destinations are your favorite and why?
Miami is one of my favorites. I was there just last month and I am in love with the place. The beaches, the people and the vibe. Everything is wonderful. Malaysia is another favorite and it’s actually because of the food (guilty as charged).
Aren with her friend at the South Beach, Miami
Aren enjoying the Fall season at the fullest, South Carolina
Top bucket list destination?
Santorini in Greece is where I really want to go right now.
Please leave some travel tips or advice for our readers who are planning to go on trips.
Make sure you’ve done proper planning and research about the place before the trip. Be open-minded, be curious and try everything. Don’t chicken out! Try different cuisines, learn about different cultures and traditions. Meet different people, ask them their stories and make new connections and friends.
Aren at the ICON Orlando 360, a fun entertainment complex in Orlando
Aren having fun with her friends at Lake Jocassee, South Carolina
What is your opinion on why people should travel?
To grow as an individual. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” This quote by Gustav Flaubert caught my attention in one of the airports when I was traveling and it’s been stuck on my mind ever since.
Traveling to new places allow you to meet new people from all over the world and you learn to look at life from different perspectives. It helps you develop a wider world view and helps open your mind. It’s amazing how much you can learn and grow just by traveling, but only if you are willing to step out of your comfort zone and willing to experience new things.
Follow Aren on Instagram to know her better!
Latest posts by Shanmi (see all)
- A Chat With 19-Year-Old Keyicudauke Iranggau aka Keyi Zeliang, Passionate Singer From Nagaland - July 15, 2019
- #RECIPE | Mizoram’s Favourite Dish ‘Bai’ – Made With The Stalks Of Cauliflower | by Priya Iyer - July 13, 2019
- A Glimpse Of Life On Dal Lake, Srinagar With Tiarenla Jamir From Nagaland - July 12, 2019