It is said that there are more than 4000 varieties of potatoes in the world, and is the fifth most important crop worldwide. Numbers and facts aside, how many of us here are potato lovers? Don’t we agree that most meals would be incomplete in the absence of potatoes? Irrespective of which culture we come from, potatoes are an important ingredient in most kitchens.
Today, we have a popular South Indian dish – Aloo 65 – contributed by Abhishek from Nepal. It is inspired by the world famous Chicken 65, a spicy deep fried chicken dish. Abhishek uses potatoes instead of chicken so that his vegetarian friends can also enjoy the yummy spices and crispy texture. Let’s find out how to prepare this dish!
Aloo 65 is the vegetarian version of the world-famous South Indian dish, Chicken 65. It’s crunchy, spicy and deep fried so it’s bound to be ever so comforting at any time of the day, as a quick mid-day snack or side dish to a homemade thali.
- 5-6 potatoes, boiled and diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 4-5 fresh green chilies
- 3-4 dried chilies
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Splash of water
Directions to make Aloo 65 :
- In a bowl, throw in the boiled and diced potatoes along with the flour. Toss together till the potato pieces are evenly coated with flour.
- Deep fry the potatoes until golden brown. Remove excess oil on a kitchen towel and keep aside.
- Heat up a pan with some oil and shallow fry the dried chilies along with fresh green chili.
- Stir for a minute and then add ginger-garlic paste and the onions. Sautee till it starts to sweat and then add all the spices and seasoning. Make sure the flame is not too high so you don’t burn this spice mixture.
- Add yogurt and keep stirring till the water evaporates and the gravy starts to thicken. If it’s too thick, add some more water.
- Taste to check seasoning and then add the deep fried potatoes.
- On a high flame, toss it all together and till all the potato pieces are coated in the gravy.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves on top. Serve and enjoy while hot.
Spicy and delicious Aloo 65 is ready to serve
Latest posts by Shanmi (see all)
- “Our Music Is Inspired By Daily Things That Are Popular With The Young People Around Us” – A Chat With Band Member Kijo Of Indie Band “Flowerpot” From Mizoram - February 19, 2019
- “I Want People To Experience The Beautiful Transformative Power Of A Tattoo” – A Chat With Tattoo Artist, Angel Zimik From Manipur - February 18, 2019
- Recipe Of “Butter-Garlic Prawn” Dish By Irin Kashyap From Assam - February 16, 2019