With the return of Diwali, it brings back the festivities, celebrations, gatherings with family and friends, exchanging gifts, fancy clothes and of course, food! Diwali is just incomplete without tasty sweets and savories on the table. Don’t we all agree?
So, without further ado, sharing a sweet dish recipe today on how to make chocolate barfis! They are simply delectable and we bet that your family and friends will totally dig it! Let’s get started.
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 300 grams of milk powder
- 100 grams of ground almonds
- 200 grams (half a tin) of evaporated milk/double cream
- 3 tablespoons of ghee (melted)
- A pinch of saffron
- 1/2 tsp of ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 300 grams of milk chocolate
- Choice of sprinkles
Directions to prepare :
- Grease or line the baking sheet or plate you will use to make the barfi in, bare in mind the smaller the dish the deeper your barfi will be. (I used a square brownie pan lined with baking parchment)
- Mix together all the barfi ingredients in a microwave proof bowl.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and heat on full power for 1 minute 30 seconds and then stir the mixture well, repeat this process 4 times until the mixture is cooked through. Beware and keep an eye while it’s in the microwave so it doesn’t bubble over the edge of the bowl.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared plate or tray
- Smooth the mixture out into an even layer ensuring the surface is as smooth as you can get it – I sometimes use a flat bottomed bowl which has been lined with ghee to do this.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Once the barfi is cool, melt your chocolate in the microwave in 30 second blasts until it’s a smooth pouring consistency.
- Pour your chocolate over the barfi and create a smooth layer.
- Top with the sprinkles of your choice and allow to set in the fridge for around an hour before cutting into portions.
Recipe contributed by Priya Joshi (@joshicooks).
Wishing you a happy and safe Diwali! 🙂
- Catching Up With Megosano Sakhrie – A Hand Lettering Artist from Nagaland - October 23, 2017
- Recipe | Diwali Special – Chocolate Barfis - October 18, 2017
- Spotting Fashion at the Ziro Festival of Music 2017 - October 16, 2017