Snails hold a special place as a delicacy in Nagaland, where locals create diverse versions infused with regional favorites such as smoked pork and axone. Today, we bring you a unique twist contributed by Ajano Meru, a passionate cook and food lover from Nagaland. Her rendition of this beloved dish features a delightful combination of pumpkin and bamboo shoot.
What makes it truly special is the authentic Naga touch, with the addition of sun-dried bamboo shoot, elevating the flavors to new heights. Get ready to savor this delicious recipe as we reveal all the steps. Let’s dive in!
“Snails with pumpkin and sun-dried bamboo shoot” dish by Ajano Meru from Nagaland
- Snails (1kg)
- Pumpkin (1/2 kg)
- Sun-dried bamboo shoot (two handfuls)
- Onion (1 medium size)
- Garlic (8-10 cloves)
- King Chilli (1)
- Turmeric (1/2 tbsp)
Preparation of the dish:
- Heat the pan and pour about 2 tbsp of oil
- Add onion and fry until it turns slightly brown
- Add garlic and fry again until it turns golden brown
- Pour a little water so that the spices don’t get burned, then add turmeric
- Add the washed snails, salt, and king chili. Cook for about 10 minutes
- Now add water and the sun-dried bamboo shoot, and cook for another 10 minutes
- Add the pumpkins and mash them when cooked
- Lastly, garnish with coriander
Your Naga Snails dish is ready to be served!
- Recipe | Learn How to Make The Famous Axone (Fermented Soyabean) From Nagaland - June 18, 2020
- A Chat With 19-Year-Old Keyicudauke Iranggau aka Keyi Zeliang, Passionate Singer From Nagaland - July 15, 2019
- Recipe of Mizoram’s Favourite Dish ‘Bai’ – Made With The Stalks Of Cauliflower | by Priya Iyer - July 13, 2019