No meal in a Naga household will be complete without rice – be it lunch or dinner, and pretty much most of in-between meals and snacks – like the rice roti, and the hugely popular ‘Galho.’
‘Galho’ is a savory mix dish made of rice, vegetables, and various meats. The Angami Naga tribe are the original creators of this dish, which is now a popular local favorite. Now that we are acquainted with the dish, how about giving it a go at making this simple dish? Also helpful to note that all the ingredients are easily available in any Naga kitchen. Let’s go!
- 200 gms Rice
- 500 gms of smoked Beef/Pork
- 1 tablespoon of Axone (Fermented Soybean)
- Chopped pumpkin/squash leaves (or any green leafy vegetable)
- Ground green chilies (qty according to your preferred heat level)
- 500 ml water (or more, as required)
- Salt to taste
Directions to Cook :
- Put water, axone, and ground green chilies into a pot and cook it for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Next, add the smoked beef/pork (1/2″ cubes) into the pot and cook together for another 45 minutes or until the meat becomes tender.
- Now add the rice (rinsed 2-3 times) to the meat pot. Add more water if required. Cook over medium-high heat.
- When the rice is almost done, add the chopped greens.
- Let it simmer for 5-7 mins, and turn off the gas.
- Taste, and add more salt if needed.
- Serve hot!
Contributed by By Vilazonuo Zatsu.