Sticky rice is enjoyed in many forms in the northeastern region – often as an afternoon or evening snack. You can make sticky rice roti and enjoy it with a hot cup of tea, or simply add your favorite chutney to some pressure-cooked rice and relish it.
Today’s recipe is an interesting sweet dish – ‘Sticky rice kheer or pudding’ that is very popular in Manipur. Locals love to make this at home especially during the winter and rainy seasons. Recipe below!
Manipuri Sticky Rice Kheer
- A bowl of sticky rice – both black and white in equal proportion
- A glass of milk
- Two tablespoons of sugar
- Dry coconuts and almond
- Cardamom – 2-4 pieces
Mixture of black and white sticky rice.
Flavoring ingredients (Clockwise from Left): Dry coconut, Cardamom Bayleaf and Almonds
Directions to Cook:
- Saute the dry coconut, bay leaf, and cardamons with two tbsps of butter in a cooker (where the kheer is going to be made)
- Wash the sticky rice (2-3 times) and put the rice into the cooker
- Pour (250ml) water into the cooker and pressure cook the rice
- After two whistles, turn it off and wait to open the cooker on its own
- Pour the glass of milk, boil for a minute until it thickens to the consistency of gruel
- Put it in a bowl and finish off with a sprinkle of ground almonds on top.
Sticky rice kheer from Manipur
- Recipe | Learn How to Make The Famous Axone (Fermented Soyabean) From Nagaland - June 18, 2020
- A Chat With 19-Year-Old Keyicudauke Iranggau aka Keyi Zeliang, Passionate Singer From Nagaland - July 15, 2019
- Recipe of Mizoram’s Favourite Dish ‘Bai’ – Made With The Stalks Of Cauliflower | by Priya Iyer - July 13, 2019